Welcome to Tam Makers in 2021!
We have two new programs this winter:
* Virtual Shop Time on Saturday mornings 9 am – 12 pm through March 13.
* Geodesic Model Making on Fridays from 6 – 8 pm. February 5 -26
To learn more about these events or sign up, see below.
Virtual Shop Time – FREE
I value the personal connections and sense of community that I have found at our classes and our open shop times. To keep those connections going, I am hosting a very casual Saturday morning Virtual Shop Time.
- There is no set agenda.
- You can drop in for any length of time.
- We aim our cameras more at our work and workspace than to our faces.
- Check in periodically while working on your project …
- … or just keep a live feed to show what you are doing.
- See what others are up to and enjoy maker camaraderie.
- Find out how to buy, borrow, or improvise tools and materials.
- Get advice on how to do maker projects.
- Ask how-to-questions of Geo and others.
Geodesic Model Making
This live zoom class will run on four Fridays in February from 6 to 8 PM. The cost is $120 plus materials.
Some of you may know that I changed my name to “Geo” because of my enduring interest in geodesic geometries. And since making geodesic models is an activity that can easily be done from home with simple tools and materials, it is a good fit for an on-line class as well as a way for me to share something that I truly love.
In this class, I will lead you through model making techniques as well as ways to think about the shape of space. I will supply kits with tools and materials. We will:
- Make 3D Models with:
- Wooden dowels
- Latex hubs
- Snap-together polygons
- Cardstock and glue
- Learn modeling techniques:
- Use a compass and straight edge to layout models in 2D.
- Cut, fold, & glue to assemble fantastic shapes.
- Learn the finite sets of regular tessellations and polyhedra.
- Explore the symmetries of these unique geometric forms.